shortcut to to main content
Guilderland Central School District masthead
click to visit Altamont Elementary home pageclick to visit Guilderland Elementary home pageclick to visit Lynnwood Elementary home pageclick to visit Pine Bush Elementary home pageclick to visit Westmere Elementary home pageclick to visit Farnsworth Middle School home pageclick to visit Guilderland High School home page

click to go to advanced search pageclick to go to A to Z Web site index pageEmpowering all students to succeed in the 21st century mission statement
Featured links heading

Free and reduced-price meals/milk

Application fact sheet

When filling out the application form, please pay careful attention to these helpful hints:

Food Stamp/TANF/FDPIR number:
This must be the complete number supplied to you by the agency including all numbers and letters, for example, E 123456, or whatever combination is used in your county. Refer to a letter you received from your local Department of Social Services for your number or contact them for your number. All children with the same case number may be listed on the same application. If anyone in your household receives food stamps, all children living in your household are eligible to receive free meals at school.

Direct Certification:
If you receive food stamps or TANF, send in the Direct Certification Letter from the NYS Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance instead of completing the application. Make a copy for your records.

Foster Child:
A child who is living with a family but who is under the legal care of the welfare agency or court. List the child’s “personal use” income. This includes only those funds provided by the agency which are identified for the personal use by the child, such as personal spending allowances, money received by his/her family, or from a job. Funds provided for housing, food and care, medical, and therapeutic needs are not considered income to the foster child. Write “O” if the child has no personal use income.

A group of related or non-related people who are living in one house and share income and expenses.

Adult Family Members:
All related and non-related people who are 21 years of age and older living in your house.

Financially Independent:
A person is financially independent and a separate economic unit/household when his or her earnings and expenses are not shared by the family/household.

Gross Income:
Is money earned or received by each member of your household before deductions. Examples of deductions are federal tax, State tax, and Social Security deductions.

Examples of gross income are:

Wages, salaries, tips, commissions, or income from self-employment

Net farm income (gross sales minus expenses only -- not losses)

Pensions, annuities, or other retirement income including Social Security retirement benefits

Unemployment compensation

Welfare payments (does not include value of food stamps)

Public assistance payments

Adoption assistance

Strike benefits

Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Social Security Survivor’s Benefits

Disability benefits, including workman’s compensation

  Veteran’s subsistence benefits

Interest or dividend income

 Veteran’s subsistence benefits

Cash withdrawn from savings, investments, trusts, and other resources which would be available to pay for a child’s meals

Other cash income

If you have more than one job, you must list the income from all jobs. If you receive income from more than one source (wage, alimony, child support, etc.), you must list income from all sources.

Current Income:
Your income at the present time before deductions. Only farmers, self-employed workers, migrant workers, and other seasonal employees may use their income for the past 12 months reported from their 1040 Tax Forms.

Income Exclusions:
The value of any child care provider or arranged, or any amount received as payment for such child care or reimbursement for costs incurred for such care under the Child Care Development (Block Grant) Fund should not be considered as income for this program.

If you have questions or need help in filling out the application form, please contact Food Service Director Linda Mossop at (518) 456-6200, ext. 3110.

Back to free and reduced-price meals/milk home page